Thursday, June 17, 2010

Day 1: One Dirty Mess

After two months of waiting to close on our first home (this following some near heartbreaks with actually signing a purchase and sale) we signed the final paperwork at 10 a.m. on June 16: one year and one month after we said "I do."

The house? A 56-year-old, three bedroom, one bath ranch...complete with green wood paneling, hand-painted ivy, mustard yellow fridge and a stove that Alice from the Brady Bunch would have been proud to own. But we got what we wanted: an ugly house in a nice neighborhood. The listing said "needs some TLC." And TLC we will give it...lots of it.

With a long to-do list already, the only "renovation" work that was done yesterday was measuring for a new front door. Gotta start somewhere, right? I did get in the house this afternoon to start cleaning, following a few unrelated to-dos. Not only are we renovating an ugly ranch, no one has lived in the house for several years...which means tons and tons of dirt. I believe I may have ticked off several eight-legged creatures that were occupying our lonely residence.

Tomorrow I'll post pictures of the exterior, plus all the before images of the interior. We also started sanding the floors to refinish them, so I hope to upload a picture or two of my newly acquired skill--taught to me by my handsome and talented husband, of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment