Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Silence is an interesting thing...

Quick humor/weird parenting thought for your day:

My very sweet cousin sent us a crib toy that lights up, plays music and makes rainforest sounds. We were really hoping it would help us with naps because Silas goes down fine at night, he just needs a little help earlier in the day.

Anywho, the first night it was hanging in his crib, he shimmied himself sideways and accidentally kicked it on at 3 a.m. I freaked, ran in and turned it off, instead of allowing it to soothe him back to sleep. Of course, he screamed and wouldn't go back to sleep without nursing. Fail.

From then on, we have tried to make sure the toy is in the off position when we put him down at night, or at least when we do the breathing check/admiration of his sleeping cuteness when we go to bed. Well, we failed again last night.

At 5 a.m. it went off. I stiffened in the bed listening for baby noises. It played for six minutes and turned off. He then kicked it on again! He did it once more, but then got very quiet. I was awake for all 18 minutes of this and then some. Andrew woke at the beginning and then slept through the rest.

The silence tends to make me crazy at times, like this morning. I kept thinking, "hmmm....maybe it lulled him back to sleep. Or maybe he got his head stuck in the rails and is quiet because he can't breathe!" See how parenting can drive you to insanity?! Of course the gaps aren't big enough for his head. And of course he would cry if he were hurt. But those thoughts are too rational for this momma!

However, did I ever go check on him to really see if anything bad had happened?

Nope. Because as much as I can drive myself crazy about irrational things happening to my child, the silence is generally attributed to sleeping or thinking about sleeping, and I NEVER want to wake my sleeping child or interrupt the process.

Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment