Friday, August 24, 2012

"You were not called to that..."

Facebook is quite the double-edged sword, isn't it? On the one hand, you can catch up with old friends, keep up with the cuteness of nephews you haven't met yet and, as one of my FB friends recently told me in a message, intrude on others' lives (politely, of course!). But on the other hand, you can compare yourself to others (be it jobs, living situations, relationships, family life, etc.). I'm sure there are other negatives, but that's the big one I face.

While on Facebook earlier this week, I saw where a friend of a friend had a baby. The precious child was born with a condition that could be fatal, and after just over a week, that sweet girl did pass away. I proceeded to grab Silas, hold him and bawl over this situation. What's more, this friend had posted words the mother said--"She is where we all long to be." What faith this woman has!

Two thoughts immediately popped into my head. I thought, "How much would I love to have the faith and trust this mother has! God has done incredible things in her life." Then I thought, "I could never enter that situation and say those words." The second thought made me very sad, especially looking back on how long I've followed Jesus and the ups and downs He's walked me through.

Later that evening I was able to talk with my long distance best friend who knew more about passing of this baby. I shared with her my thoughts, and as always, she spoke truth and said, "But you're not in that situation." Very true. But what if I were to be one day? Could I do that?

The next morning I sat down to start an old Bible study over again. Before diving in I sat and prayed for several things going on in my family right now--job transitions, sick relatives, etc. I also prayed for this sweet family I've never met and only know through FB status updates. As I prayed about my reactions I distinctly felt God gently reminding me, "You were not called to that."

It's pretty much what my friend had said the night before. But this time I understood better.

At this point in my life I haven't been called to bury an infant. If I had, God would have equipped me with what I needed to walk through that. However, I was called to bury my mother just as I was exiting my teenage years. If I had known that would happen years before, I might have had the same reaction--I could never...

But I did. It still hurts, but God walked me through it and is still walking me through it. I have to trust that whatever the situation, no matter how hard and how gut-wrenching it could be, He'll be there with what I need.

1 comment:

  1. Amen! I have realized in the past year & 7 months that I can handle some things now that I would have run away from years before. I remember you going through every bit of that and thinking, "How does she stay so strong? How does she go through this?" Now- definitely not in the same way, but in a similar way- I know how you got through it. God gives you strength to overcome anything. Praying for you, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete