Monday, April 23, 2012

Strep B Saga continued…


Since my first post on my strep B positive result (if you need a catch up, click here), I had another midwife appointment, and I’m feeling a little better about things. I think I’ll backtrack a bit though to continue the story.

In my last post I wrote that I tested positive for GBS, and I explained why this result might change how things go for labor and delivery. Here’s the rest of the story:

Alternative treatment to antibiotics
At my 35-week appointment (when I tested for strep B) the midwife was telling me that in Europe practitioners have been studying a type of wash they feel can reduce mother to newborn transmission of the bacteria. Instead of giving a mother penicillin or some other antibiotic, they use a wash in the time leading up to a vaginal delivery to reduce the possibility of the bacteria being picked up by the newborn.

She said they’ve seen very good results with this alternative, but unfortunately, the studies have yet to be replicated in the U.S.

Fast forward to the following week when I had my appointment to discuss my strep B result. I left that appointment somewhat discouraged, knowing I would have to have antibiotics with the birth and all of that. I headed to Cradle, a baby store in Northampton that has tons of resources and offers workshops and classes during pregnancy and for the postpartum period. They also sell cloth diapering items, baby carriers, etc. I was headed to purchase some final things on my registry, and I mentioned to one of the women behind the counter that I had tested positive for GBS. She immediately went to a file and handed me some information on an alternative treatment, then encouraged me to ask about being retested at my next appointment.

Turns out, the info she gave me was from one of the European studies I’d been told about. The method uses Chlorhexidine (sold under the name Hibiclens) and water. It can be applied in one of two ways, and according to the study, researchers found washing or “flushing” with this mixture to have the same efficacy as using an antibiotic.

I wasn’t sure if you could buy Hibiclens around here, and I first wanted to run the study by my midwives. At my appointment on Friday I asked about being retested and mentioned the information I was given. The midwife I saw attended a conference last year on this very treatment, and she also said there are herbs you can take that some find to help rid a person of the bacteria. Unfortunately, I’m a little too close to my due date to try these alternatives, and even if I were to retest and have a negative result, the first positive on my chart will stay with me. Apparently, once I’m at the hospital, the pediatricians there would see the first positive and still insist I have the antibiotic, regardless of a second negative test. If I opted out, they would run tons of tests on the baby following birth and keep it under close watch for at least 48 hours. So basically, at this point, I may as well accept the positive and proceed.

For the next pregnancy, though, the midwife suggested I try the treatment a few weeks before I would be tested, get a negative and then be done with it. I’m definitely going to hold onto it for that reason. She also said their office gave thought to running their own study for the moms who test positive and choose to opt out of antibiotics. They were going to offer the wash and herbs and track the results; however, they decided it probably wouldn’t be well accepted at this time by the medical field. As she put it, the U.S. isn’t “edgy” enough for this type of research!

She did encourage me that it is still entirely possible for me to deliver without pain medication, and that even if I have to be induced with Pitocin, it is entirely possible for me to get through the birth without an epidural. I said something about being afraid the contractions would come so fast I couldn’t stay on top of them, and it would be more painful since Pitocin doesn’t offer the release the natural hormone it imitates does. She replied, “Well, we won’t make them come so fast.” (I figured out this meant they won’t turn the dial up so much!) So I left more encouraged that I could still deliver naturally, even with a GBS positive result.

A word on the mental/spiritual effect of the result
 I mentioned the result upset me a lot initially. I’ve figured out why, and I thought I may as well share that, too. I’m well aware that birth is an unpredictable event. You can write the best birth plan, prep for months and months and still end up having an emergency c-section. Things happen. Birth is just one of those things that cannot be controlled.

But I like control. It’s something that has consistently hindered my relationship with God—I could probably find something I have trouble giving up control of daily. At least weekly. I knew before this GBS test that if things were to end in a c-section, I would have a real possibility of being depressed and feeling like I failed. Knowing that, Andrew and I (and friends who know) have been praying that I’ll remember who is in control of this birth and trust that regardless of how it turns out, things went the way the Lord had planned.

That’s why the positive result hit me the way it did. It was one more roadblock to remind me that I’m not in control. “Doing this my way” is prideful and sinful, and I need to not only continue to confess that but keep praying that my faith and trust will be bigger than the outcome of this birth. AND that if I do end up having a natural birth, the glory doesn’t go to me—it goes to God because he’s the one with the plan and the one who got me through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment