Monday, January 3, 2011

Shutter Shift

When we bought our beloved, ugly ranch, it had red shutters. This wasn't a huge problem, except that a previous owner had used the wrong kind of paint. We noticed when we first looked at the house that red paint had run down onto one side of the house. We initially thought the shutters had just been put back up before drying, and rain had caused the red run-off.

Once I had time to really look at the shutters, I noticed that they stained my fingers with a chalky residue.


They were definitely painted with the wrong paint. I wasn't sure if we'd be able to paint them with anything that wouldn't run because they were vinyl shutters, not wooden.

Then I remembered a good friend: spray paint.

Spray paint is awesome and a quick fix for small projects. I decided to paint the shutters a sage green. They'll look really good with our new front door...if we ever get that installed!


pre-makeover


I used dish soap and water to scrub all the cobwebs and dirt off the shutters


up-close before


Progress! I did use more paint than I originally thought I would. It took 5 cans total for 14 shutters of varying sizes, but for less than $30, that was a great deal compared to buying new ones.


summer before with red shutters


winter after with green shutters


close-up of the green shutters

2 comments: