Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Lowe's vs. Home Depot

Note on our favorite home improvement store: we don't (technically) have one. Up until a few months ago, Home Depot was the only store close enough to get to. Andrew wasn't terribly happy about this as his summer stint at the Depot in 2007 was less than pleasant. Now that we have a Lowe's down the street from Home Depot we imagined shopping there more, but it doesn't always turn out that way. We shop at both to compare prices and inventory.

With the shower problem, we found out what part we needed at Lowe's, but they don't carry it and sent us to Home Depot. (This did please Andrew though, because the employee showed him a shower diagram, the exact part needed and didn't hesitate to send us to the competitor.) In researching front doors (more on this soon), we found one we love at Lowe's...plus we have a coupon and gift cards! I also bought a new refrigerator from Lowe's--display model, no scratches or other issues, nearly 50% off. 


I picked out paint colors at Home Depot, but bought the first room's color from Lowe's because we were already there and they stay open later. Valspar (Lowe's main brand) was having a rebate so we get $5 back per gallon. I'll more than likely buy the other colors from Home Depot (their main brand is Behr) because I know the colors I want, but I'll watch for rebates from Behr before purchasing.


It seems most of the items I've listed have come from Lowe's, but several smaller parts we needed for various things did come from Home Depot...I just can't remember what they are! Andrew would say he likes Lowe's better (again, he may be biased), but I haven't quite decided yet. I will say that their brand color--blue--is much better than the nearly-Tennessee-Vols-orange of Home Depot. Boo orange! 

No comments:

Post a Comment