Friday, February 17, 2012

Documenting the belly

I'm terrible at actually taking pictures of how I look pregnant. Mainly because I decided early on I wouldn't take pictures of my belly changing each week and post them on Facebook...totally cool if you wanna do that, it's just not my scene. Because I wasn't taking them to constantly update my "virtual following," I sort of just forgot to do it in general. I do, however, have a few pics from the journey to this point that I will now share with you. Beware, one is of a naked belly. It'll be okay, you can make it through :) On to the fun...


On the left, we have Baby Floyd at 17 weeks. This was taken about midnight after we got home from one of Andrew's company Christmas parties. I wish I had taken a picture the next morning, because my belly wasn't nearly as "pronounced" then. On the right, 28 weeks. I took this last night after I got to my brother's house in Alabama. Quite the difference...meaning, I actually look pregnant now! And yes, I am in maternity clothes. If you check out the timeline page, I finally bought a few things about two weeks ago and have been incorporating them into what I can still wear of my own clothes. 

Now let's look at me at 20ish weeks, Christmas time:



If you know my brother at all, you can probably envision the events/conversation that led up to this moment. His wife is pregnant with my nephew right now, and Jonathan claims he is gaining weight alongside Brandy. To prove this, he would often stick out his stomach and say they were having twins. Before this picture, he was teasing me that he looked more pregnant than I did. I'll let you be the judge; however, if you look at my belly at 17 weeks, then check it out again at 20 or so weeks, it sort of looks bigger at 17! (I told y'all I had a case of a disappearing belly...)

Since I'm in Birmingham right now--technically Homewood at O'Henry's--and I have the time, I'll share a few of the events of yesterday. If you read my Facebook status updates from the airports you probably got part of this, but I had several funny things happen yesterday as I made my way down the East Coast.

1) Security at Bradley in Hartford: the full body scanners were on yesterday, and I didn't even think about it. I personally have no problems with airport security--do what you gotta do to keep my plane from being blown up, I say! And to my defense, there are a TON of things you can't do/have to remember/be cautious about when you're pregnant. It's a little insane. Anywho, the first TSA man asks me if I have anything in my pockets, a belt, etc. I reply, "Nope, they're maternity pants!" I have no idea if he understood this, but they don't even have zippers.

He sends me on to the next guy, who puts his hands out to illustrate his point, right in front of my belly. He says something to the effect of, "Now ma'am, if you don't want to do this because you're pregnant, we can send you right over here." Click! Duh, a full body scanner would probably not be great. I thanked him graciously and went through the older, "maybe you could sneak something through" metal detector. The TSA man on the other side looked at my boarding pass and said, "I'm very glad you didn't go through that scanner." Such nice people in Hartford!

2) Getting my bags from security. As the TSA lady was quietly calling for back-up into her radio, I knew she was looking at my bag. I can't currently reveal the entire story, as it involves gifts for the 14 hostesses of my shower on Sunday, but basically, I had a tiny carry-on suitcase filled with a taped cardboard box, filled with heavy items. I know, this doesn't help much. Check back with me in a couple days and hopefully it'll make more sense! Another TSA lady takes my suitcase, which weighs 20 pounds, over to the table to put that weird swabby thing inside the suitcase. We have a conversation about what is actually in the box, and as she opens it she exclaims, "Well look at you! These are so pretty! You made these? How?" yadda yadda yadda. We then have a conversation about the wonders of Mod Podge and being crafty. I'm glad she was impressed with my presents; let's hope my hostesses are!

3) The winner of the most annoying Delta agent award goes to....the lady behind the counter at my gate! She totally stressed everyone out by repeatedly telling us how to load our carry-on items quickly, begging us to check a carry-on since 142 people on the plane meant not everyone could put bags overhead and constantly counting down the minutes we had left until push-back. Seriously. Shut up and smile! It's not my fault Delta only gives you 40 minutes to turn a plane around. Luckily I found a teeny tiny space for a very nice man to put my hefty carry-on of breakable goodies. I was going to put up a fight if they made me check that bag.

Both flights were a tiny bit bumpy, Baby Floyd was restless through most of them and I didn't follow my husband's instructions and put that suitcase overhead myself for my last flight. I know, I should've said something to someone, but I was trying to be efficient and quick. I got to Birmingham, had a fun dinner with my dear friend Mabes and slept well at my brother's house. Better still....I'm wearing flip flops today!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment