Monday, July 11, 2011

Oh no she didn't...

Yes, yes I did. Just what did I do, you ask? Well, I gave in to a slightly unattractive cleaning option that might solicit a wrinkled nose or even a few "eww" comments. Yep, I washed my dishes in my bathtub. Now's your chance to shriek and ew all you want--that's the beauty of the Internet.

The dishes have been piling up despite our efforts to reuse in whatever ways possible--sharing dishes, using them more than once without washing, eating directly from the ice cream carton/other food containers, using paper towel plates, etc. etc. I've washed and rinsed several spoons and plates in the bathroom sink, but the pile was growing and gnawing at my sometimes-order-driven mind. And so I gave in.

It wasn't that bad actually. I had the thought of filling up the tub which, though you probably weren't asking this in your head, is dirty as is most of my home because I'm content with only spot cleaning until the kitchen is DONE. I realize all cleaning could be viewed as "all for naught" since inevitably things return to a messy, dirty state; however, that process happens three times faster due to the renovation. Instead of turning my entire tub into a large receptacle for soaking dirty dishes, I just turned on the hot water, soaped up a sponge, washed, rinsed and placed clean dishes on dish towels on the floor. Then I dried them all and returned them to their temporary home--the guest bed.

Here are some pictures of my set-up:


dirty dishes and dishwashing liquid


method of obtaining water and bubbles


clean dishes!


I figured using the bathtub was cheaper than buying rubbermaid containers and creating a temporary wash/rinse station outside. You might also be saying "paper plates, Jen." And I've thought of that. But I just can't justify spending the money. We did get some awesome red plastic cups from our friends so we're using those sparingly.

Now I'm contemplating washing the barbeque-infested crockpot I mentioned the other day. I've given Andrew the task of cleaning it since it is not only infested with barbeque remains but also...mold. I know, I know--gross, ew, ick--get it out of your system! I'm not a high-maintenance princess for crying out loud--most of you should know I take fewer showers than most guys anyway, so this shouldn't come as a surprise. I'll let you know how the crockpot turns out, but I probably won't post any pics so you'll keep reading. I hear the skeletons grossed a few of you out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment