Monday, June 6, 2011

Say hello to my little friends...

This was just too good to hide within my post yesterday about our first day of demolition. Sometime before lunch that Saturday, I was kicking out and pulling down drywall from the wall we plan to take completely down. I got it all cleared away and then looked down. And then jumped back and grabbed Andrew. I'll first show you a picture of what I found...


Yep, that's a rat. Or it was a rat. Or maybe a mouse...yes, rodent lovers, there is a difference; however, I'm not a rodent lover so I'm going with rat. That is indeed a skeleton curled up there in the framing. I screamed and got the jitters, then took a closer look. And found...


...this guy. I like to think he held out the fight longer than his buddy (or brother?) next door. He isn't fully decomposed like the first one, but still gross. And still dead long ago. While I don't like rats, it's sort of sad to think these little guys died next to each other in such a sad spot, forgotten. Until now. 

I asked Andrew if he could just suck them up in the Shop-Vac, but he said absolutely not. So then I asked, "Well what are you going to do about them? Throw them out in the yard?" He smiled, somewhat mischievously and said, "No, you're going to pick them up while I take pictures." 

Of course. That makes sense, right? I would be the logical choice for this job. Yippee. Not one to back down from a challenge I dove in. But I am grossed out by skeletons so I used wire cutters to take them one at a time to the trash can.


Safety goggles are a must for this type of job...


The one with fur grossed me out a bit more...

I was surprised their bodies stayed fully intact for the entire process. And yes, I did a little shudder "eww, gross" dance after putting them in the trash. I also tried to show Aaron the rats in the can, but he refused and just looked at the pictures on my camera. I think maybe he and Andrew were both a little scared... :)



No comments:

Post a Comment