Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Small Steps to a Better Landscape

I think I said somewhere along the way that we have an awesome friend and landscape designer, Kristin, who did this amazing plan for our yard. I so wish we had a trust fund somewhere that we could spend and do it all right now! But since we don't, we plan to do a little at a time. I started last fall by buying four plants to use this spring. I learned that fall is the time to buy plants--they go on sale at the end of the season, and though they look ugly, perennials will come back in their season and look great! With Kristin's help, I picked out four shrub-like plants to put in a bed near the mudroom entrance to our house. I planned to spend $50, and with everything basically 50% off, I stayed within my budget.

Once home, we dug holes and planted the shrubs in their pots. We packed dirt around them and "healed them in" with leaves. I can't wait to dig them up after the first frost! (Stay tuned for this...it won't happen until May up here in the frigid North!)



You obviously can't see them, but four plants lie under those snow mounds!

No comments:

Post a Comment